What drives a woman to choose abortion? What social and economic influences factor into that decision? Why do women choose to end a pregnancy versus choosing other alternatives, such as adoption? With so much information available, it tends to fill my head with even more questions. While searching for answers to questions that I had regarding abortion I compiled a list of ten jaw-dropping facts about abortion.
- Approximately 37.4% of all New York City pregnancies in 2013 ended in abortion. That number is staggering considering the size of the city. There were 235,274 live births recorded in New York City for that same year. That’s nearly 88,000 abortions that took place in NYC in 2013.
- Forty percent of underage women having abortions report that neither parent knew of their abortion. Only 21 states require parental consent from either one, or both, parents. Thirty-eight states require knowledge and involvement from parents for minor abortions.
- In the year 2013 the abortion industry reported a $2.1 billion dollar revenue. It reported a $147.8 million dollar profit.
- The abortion rate of women on government assisted healthcare, or Medicaid, was reported as three times higher than other groups of women. It was reported that abortions were covered in some states under Obamacare, covering abortions on demand other than rape, incest, or life of mother as reason for abortion.
- Fifty-nine percent of women reporting abortions in 2014 also reported having had one, or more, previous births.
- Of all reported abortions, 86% are procured by unmarried women.
- Fifty-one percent of women reporting abortion in 2008 were using contraceptive methods during conception.
- Forty-nine percent of American adults polled considered abortion to be morally unethical, while 23% did not consider abortion to be a moral issue.
- Only 1% of reported abortions were survivors of rape. It is also reported that approximately 32,000 pregnancies are reported due to rape each year with 50% of those pregnancies ending in abortion.
- It was reported that there were 17.3 infant adoptions per every 1,000 abortions in 2014. That’s 4.6 adoptions per 1000 live births in that same year.
The numbers are staggering. However, it is reported that the number of abortions performed declines each year, and continues at a steady rate. This could be due to a myriad of factors, including more dependable contraceptives, moral/ethical reasons, or an ever changing social acceptance.
Written by Karla King
Are you considering adoption and want to give your child the best life possible? Let us help you find an adoptive family that you love. Visit PregnancyHotline.org or call 1-800-GLADNEY.